Sunday, February 27, 2011

50 First Days


Well folks, it's been 50 days since I last saw your beautiful faces. Fifty days... can you believe it?
Where has the time gone? Well, broken down you can look at it this way- It's either 1,200 hours, 72,00 minutes, or 4,320,000 seconds…I like to looks at the hours, because the seconds seem too vast. 

The first 50 days have been trying in every way possible. I've grown somewhat accustomed to the culture. The "no worries" motto that is so quick off the tongue of Aussies has been quite bothersome at times. I like to know details. I like to know the plan… “I can go with the flow if I know which flow to go…” But everyone is super friendly and unassuming, so that's refreshing!
I’ve made wonderful friends. I’m a part of a wonderful tutorial and connect group. It’s almost like a family! (They even call me "momma.") I look around the room and see world changers. That’s an amazing feeling.
I’ve grown up in so many ways… If it needs to be done, I have to do it. No beating around the bush, no waiting for someone else to try it out... just me. It’s helped me become increasingly decisive. Example: Yesterday I walked almost 6 miles job searching. It was my third time going. All together I’ve gone to 23 places. Almost everywhere closes at 5pm which does not allow much availability during the week. I’m believing that Jesus knows exactly what I need. Please pray.

The two things that come to mind as some of the most difficult things I’ve had to face are the lack of physical contact and mom’s cooking! Mother, if you’re reading this, I want to thank you for all of the amazing meals you put on the table after you had a long day. You’re amazing. I look forward to coming home and cooking with you. I’ll peel the potatoes!
As for the physical contact part, don’t be freaked out… I’ll be fine. I guess when you come from an environment where you feel so safe and loved to one where you come home and no one’s there to greet you or ask about your day, it changes things.  It’s hard not hugging, cuddling, or simply sitting with family and friends. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not all alone all the time, and I do hug people, but it’s not the same…
I miss the way the kiddos at church would attack me with hugs and kisses. I miss the way I could sit there and pet Sadie. I love that I could sit on the couch snuggled up with a book and hot chocolate. Gone are the days of my walls being covered with art. Gone are the days of playing piano at any hour I desired. Gone are the days of being at my favorite park in 10 minutes. Gone are the days of the Dollar Store. Gone are the days of feeling the fresh Oregon air against my face. Gone, gone, gone, but not forever.

Already God is molding me and shaping me in ways that could only happen with me being 13,617. 35 miles from home.  So for that, I’m incredibly grateful.

I wish I could somehow capture and share the sunset I see each morning. I wish all of you could travel here to experience the church, the school, well, I guess EVERYTHING! I fear that I’ll come home with too many memories and not enough words to describe them. We’ll cross that bridge when we get to it…

So anyways, please know that I long for the day when I can be with you face to face, but I am so excited and feel incredibly blessed that I have the opportunity to be here. Thank you for all of your prayer and support. It sure makes it easier knowing that people haven’t forgotten me.

Love from Down Under. 
-Lindsey Luu, Butterfly, Lindzer-Binzer, Pipes, or whatever you prefer to call me. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment